Friday, May 3, 2013

Don't You (Forget About Me)

What a winter! Its May 3rd and still there are many places that should be feeling spring like that are still buried in snow.
Map shows current snow cover or snow in forecast throughout the Continental U.S.

But here in Quick Cable land we experienced our first 70° day and our first 80° day this week! Its all pretty exciting to think that soon, the beaches will be full, grills will be grilling, outdoor festivals will be plentiful and all visible signs of a long, cold winter will be gone.

TIME TO CLEAN UP

Around this time is when my family gives the car and truck a thorough cleaning, inside and out, putting away some of the winter emergency gear we left in the trunk like blankets, shovels and ice scrapers.  Along with the blankets, shovels and scrapers, the Rescue Power Packs we have in each trunk get placed in the basement for "storage" as well. Though occasionally I'll bring out a jump pack to take camping or air up a mattress or bike tire. But I don't think of my Jump Pack during the summer months for actual jump starts. For some reason, I've been convinced that winter is the real culprit when it comes to battery failure but according to Rich White, executive director of Car Care Council, I've got it all wrong. White  says, "When most motorists think of dead batteries that cause starting failure, they think of severe winter weather, but summer heat is the real culprit." Read the entire article "Extreme Summer Heat Can Burn Up Car Batteries" here. I don't think I'm the only one with this false sense of security. I think in general, most folks equate harsh winter weather with battery failure, not summer.



WHAT'S THE POINT

There's that mid-eighties hit by the band Simple Minds "Don't You (Forget about ME)" that I think sums up the point best. Summer is not the time to forget about your jump pack or your car battery.Give your battery a check-up and keep you jump pack charged and ready to go. You never know when you're going to need your next rescue.



 Sources:
http://www.intellicast.com/Travel/Weather/Snow/Cover.aspx
http://www.carcare.org/2012/07/extreme-summer-heat-can-burn-up-car-batteries-2/
EMI Simple Minds

1 comment:

  1. When do I need to replace the batteries in my Rescue 1800

    ReplyDelete